Thursday, February 28, 2013

Wake Up Call

I'm just getting home at 9 PM.  Today an acquaintance of mine informed me that they have no food in the house because they are broke.  They don't get paid for another ten days.  You might think to yourself, slacker, but this individual is one of the hardest working, most reliable people I know.  They have an incredible work ethic, practically never miss work in fact.  The spouse had a dangerous occupation, and was severely injured on the job years ago.  The spouse is now unable to work, so the individual I know is the only income in that family.  They don't receive any government assistance, I believe they are too proud.  My work acquaintance is truly what I would consider one of the "working poor".

The gals in my office pooled some money and were going to give a gift card, but were scolded.  It has to be from "us" specifically, not from the work.  They feel it shows favoritism, I disagree.  I spent some of this evening buying some food and getting a gift card, so we can anonymously send it to the person, this way nobody will know who or where it came from. 

I can't just sit back and watch people starve.  Not when my fridge is overflowing and I have the resources to help.  What would you do?  Have you ever known anyone in this situation?

No comments: