Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Getting Cultured - Crocker Art Museum - part 2

As we worked our way down the floors of the museum,
you come across the original part of the Crocker Mansion.
I couldn't get a great picture because I had my big
camera with a zoom lens and couldn't get far enough back,
but this gives you an idea of how
 ornately it was decorated.
 
The staircase, and what you can't see is the
 beautifully painted ceilings.

A piece of the jewelry that Mrs. Crocker
donated to the museum.
If you look closely, that is a woman's face
in the blue stone (I think it's aquamarine, but who knows).

After we finished in the mansion portion of the museum
we headed to the Celestial Exhibit.

Who's that creeper?
Oh, it's only Lexx looking through the spy glass.
I actually got in trouble for taking a picture in there.
This was a no picture area, and I didn't realize it.
Ooopsy.
 
As we meandered through the exhibits, Todd found
a sculpture that he really liked and wanted me to photograph.

I think it looks like a spider like thing from the Matrix movie,
my mom thought it looked like a potato that sat around 
a little too long.
 
Towards the end of our visit, we ended up in the
African art exhibit.
Many of their displays/artwork were made
from natural materials like wood and reeds/grass.

This was a carved wooden canoe with little people inside.
It was pretty long (probably 7-8 feet long).

This was also in the African art display.
I believe that this is one of their ceremonial
outfits, but my feet were hurting so bad at this
point, I was pretty much just on a mission to
leave and go have lunch so that I 
could get off of my feet, so I didn't read its description.
 
Before we left we had to take one last picture at the museum.

Cutest little displays at the museum 
(don't you think!)

Here is a picture of the original mansion,
and the new building side-by-side. 
 
After we left the museum, we did a hop-skip-jump over
to Old Town Sacramento.
The skies cleared up and it was a beautiful day,
and we decided to eat at Joe's.



It was an awesome, interesting, educational, fun, exhausting day.
I think we will have to make it a point to try and do
something like this at least once a year.

So what did you do this weekend?
See 4,000 year old artwork like me?

No comments: