Monday, February 4, 2013

Getting Cultured - Crocker Art Museum

So we decided to take advantage of free admission
and headed to the Crocker Art Museum on Saturday.
The started out overcast and kind of dreary,
so it seemed like a perfect day to spend indoors
exploring all sorts of cool stuff.

We arrived in Sacramento about 9:45 AM,
and lo-and-behold, NO traffic!
Amazing.

When we arrived at the museum, there was quite 
a line waiting to get in, but by the time we
paid for parking and actually made it to the
museum, the doors had opened, and the
crowd had headed inside.

Lexx was really excited.

We started off on the 3rd floor, and went to see the
Norman Rockwell exhibit.
This was probably not the best idea because
it looked like the mob outside had all ended up 
in this portion of the museum.
The line wrapped around the room and was about
2-3 people deep, but thank goodness 
Todd and I are taller than a majority of  people.
We were able to stand behind most of the people 
and look over their heads to see the artwork.

The artwork was pretty amazing, and his attention 
to detail was incredible.  Many of the pictures,
when you are up close, look like photographs.

Because this portion of the museum was so busy,
we rushed through it and headed off 
to other less busy areas.

In case you were wondering why I didn't get any
photos in the Rockwell exhibit, it's because 
you are only allowed to take pictures in certain
areas of the museum.  One of the docents told
us it was because the exhibits that are there for
only a short time, they don't have trademark/copyright
(I can't remember which one they said)  to.
The artwork that actually belongs to the museum,
we were free to take pictures of. 

This picture was one of my favorites in the museum.
I don't remember who the artist was,
but it was done on wood with stains and 
had a glitter like substance on it.
With me, you can't go wrong with shiny/glittery anything.

This piece of artwork made me laugh.
It creeped Todd and Lexx out, 
but I found it to be comical.
That's a ceramic woman with her fingers pointing
to her cheeks and smiling, and on her hips
are little angel/cherub guys.
Also, if you look at her necklace, it looks like
the candy necklaces you got as a child
that you could eat while you were wearing.
Too funny!

This was pretty cool.
It was very large.
If you look at the people next to it, you
can kind of get an idea of the scale of the statue.
what made it really cool was that the eyes of the
horse that the cowboy was riding, and the eyes of 
the bull lit up bright red.

Here is another piece that made me laugh and I liked.
This is a robot woman made out of 
a teapot head, a coffee dispenser body, and
I'm not quite sure what the boobs are 
(funnels maybe - but probably not).
Pretty clever don't you think?

This was Lexxa's favorite painting.
I don't get it, but she thought it was really cool.
To me, it looks like the spin art you used to do as
a kid, but on a really big canvas.
But hey, that's why art is so cool -
it's all subjective.
This was Todd's favorite painting.
Again, I don't get it, but he really liked it.
Doesn't it look like a puff of smoke coming out of the fire?
I guess I'm just not an abstract art kinda girl.

When we made it to the 2nd floor, about 2 hours later,
They had really awesome displays from other cultures.
I didn't take many pictures, but they had displays of 
everything you can think of dating back 2000 BCE.
Whaaa -
do you realize how old that is?
Like I told Todd, you may not like the artwork,
or pottery, but just to be able to see things that 
were made that long ago is amazing.

Can you guess what this is?
You guessed it -
a Samurai suit of armor and helmet. 


The details are amazing.
I really dig the moustache on the helmet.
Can you imagine seeing this coming after you?
I would think it was something from another world.

I got some of the statistics on the display,
and you are reading that right
1392-1573.
Pretty incredible, right!
 
So you will have to come back tomorrow to
read about the rest of the day.
I had too many photos and didn't want
to make it too photo heavy.
 

No comments: