Monday, January 23, 2012

Organizing Personal Finances

In my quest to become more organized this year, I ran across a couple good ideas for organizing my personal finances.

The first thing I came across is called a cash envelope system.  Apparently a man Dave Ramsey recommends this system to help budget your money.  While I don't listen to his show, and haven't read anything about this, I really love the idea of not spending more money than I have.  Credit cards = evil!  Really, should you be purchasing something that you can't pay cash for (minus houses and cars and really big ticket items).

The idea is to set aside cash every month (budget), keep it in a little envelope system, and when the money is gone...you can't spend any more.  I found a shop on etsy that sells the envelopes, and while they are quite expensive, and I wouldn't spend the money on the envelope, you can get the idea (I'm cheap and will have my mom make me one). 


The next thing that I found was a little device called NeatDesk .  It takes receipts, business cards and documents, scans and digitally files the information.  It is pretty pricey, and I am looking for a sale or some way to get a better deal, but I think that the idea is a good one.  I would love to throw away all the little receipts and various other papers that float around and clutter my purse and home.


And of course, because I want to keep my personal finances organized, I might need a purse that helps me with this.  The Vera Bradley Mandy might just work for me.  The style and color I want aren't on sale right now, bit I know if I just wait a bit, it will eventually go on sale.



Hopefully you find something useful in this post (men might not care too much about the purse, but you can always carry around a murse...man+purse=murse).

What system do you use to organize your finances?  Any suggestions?

No comments: