Thursday, January 17, 2013

Les Miserables



I had planned on seeing Les Mis on New Years,
but as you know, those plans didn't work out so well.
So I happened to talk Todd in to going with
my this last weekend, and to my surprise,
both the kids wanted to go and were available.
(That just never happens!)

So the consensus....4 stars.
I loved the music in it, however, I don't
remember one time that the actors actually spoke.
They sang the entire movie
(as far as I can remember).
I found that to be slightly annoying.
Also, and this is dumb and I know it,
everyone was soooo miserable - thus the name.
Les Miserables means miserable or forsaken,
so I shouldn't expect anything else,
but I found it to be depressing.
It became even more depressing when I did 
a little research (and by little - I mean very little),
and found out that Les Miserables was 
actually a book written in the 1800's, and a few
of the characters are based on real people.
I cried in the theater, then got home, did the research
and cried some more - 
I know - BIG BABY.
Other than that, those are the only real criticisms that I have.

Why 4 stars instead of 5 then you ask?
I compare everything to Phantom of the Opera.
I've seen two live musical productions, 
own the movie and the soundtrack.
To me, nothing compares, and Todd felt the same way.
 
My absolute favorite song was sung
by Anne Hathaway.
She played Fantine and sung 
I Dreamed a Dream.
Because the actors/actresses sing
without going to studios and dubbing in a perfect 
sounding song, you get much more emotion
the way this movie was filmed.
It literally had me bawling!

 
I also loved Hugh Jackman (Duh...who wouldn't),
but his acting, not his singing is what made
his performance so good.
He played Jean Valjean, the main character.
 
So what do you think, would you go see it based on
my short and very incomplete critique?

No comments: