Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cake Ball / Pops

I've seen these things floating around the blogosphere for a little while, and have always wanted to try my hand at making them.
I took the opportunity during the long weekend to give cake pops a shot.
I did a little research, but really, nobody had ingredients/directions.
It was all pretty vague.
So, I decided, what the heck...what harm can I do.
If they turned out like crappola, I would just toss them.

Being a horrible blogger, I didn't take pictures of the ingredients, or the process, just the end result, but I will walk you through what I did.

I took a cake mix from the store and followed the directions on the package.  After the cake was done, I let it cool for about 15-30 minutes.
After the cake had cooled for a bit, I scooped out the inside of the cake and left anything that felt like it was a little overcooked (hard edges, etc).
I put the insides of the cake in a bowl and scooped out store bought frosting.
I added frosting to the cake until the mixture was blended and moist, but not superdy duper gooey.
At this point I tried to take a scooper and make little balls, but the mixture was a little sticky, so I ended up taking a scoop in my hand and rolling it in my palms until it resembled a ball.
When I had used all the mixture and made them into balls, I then refrigerated them for about 1 1/2 hours.
After my hour or so was up, I then took bakers chocolate, melted it in the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes, took the balls one at a time and dunked them.
Here is where I believe I made a mistake.  I used a vessel to melt the chocolate that was to wide, so I had to roll the cake balls around instead of being able to just dip.
This allowed the chocolate time to cool off, making the outer chocolate not smooth, but kind of ...well...unappealing looking (I'll just leave it at that).
I used all the bakers chocolate to cover 3/4 of the cake balls (so I would probably buy one more package next time), and then put the little critters in the fridge to set.
I probably left them in there about an hour until I just couldn't stand it and had to do a taste test.

And the results were....


Delicioso - marvelous - fantastishe!

Not to brag or anything, but they were pretty darn good for just making it up as I went along.
Like I said asthetically speaking, they left a little to be desired, but taste wise - nom, nom, nom!

So, what do you think?  Have you ever tried making these little guys?  Any tips or pointers?

No comments: