Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Stuffed Bell Peppers

You already saw a picture of this on my photo challenge.
I made it on St. Patrick's Day
 because it reminded me of a clover.
They turned out pretty well and they're pretty good for you,
so I thought I would share the recipe.
 
STUFFED BELL PEPPER
 
4 large green bell peppers
1 cup of cooked brown rice
1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
2 garlic cloves
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can diced tomatoes (with Italian seasoning is better)
tomato sauce - enough to cover the bottom of a casserole dish.
2 tbsp canola oil
salt and pepper to taste
 
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes.
 Place in a casserole dish - the bottom of the dish should
 be covered with a thin layer of tomato sauce.
In a pan, add canola oil and sautee the onions until translucent (5-7 minutes).
Add minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
Then add the ground turkey and brown.

In a large bowl, combine the cooked ground turkey,
 brown rice, and diced tomatoes.
  Add salt and pepper to taste.
 Scoop mixture into each bell pepper half.

Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. If desired, uncover,
sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top, and bake an additional 5 minutes.
I cooked the turkey thoroughly while I was making the rice.
They finished fairly close to each other, so that was nice.
I added the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce,
garlic and onion to the ground turkey,
and let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
When it looked like it was all cooked,
I added the rice to the meat mixture.

Brown rice and meat mixture.
 
Once it was nice and mixed together,
all I did was add the mixture in the cleaned out bell peppers
(be sure to remove all the little seeds and wash the pepper thoroughly).

Bell peppers ready to go in the oven.

I didn't cook the tops, but I suppose you could.
I just added it here for effect.

The finished product.
 
I definitely will be making these again in the near future.
 
Do you have any semi healthy/healthy recipes
 that you make for your family?
 

No comments: