Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Mammoth Lakes - Part Uno

So Todd and I didn't leave out extremely early Saturday morning,
we kind of lolly gagged around and took our own sweet time.
By the time we left, it was probably 10:30 - 11:00 AM.

I had been wanting to go to Sutter Creek for a little while, 
so we detoured there instead of heading straight to 
Mammoth Lakes.

They were having some sort of little street fair thingy where
they had all these old time machines that played music -
I'm not quite sure what they are called. 
(See above on the right hand side of the pic to see the machine).
 It was pretty cool. 
They had one that drove up and down the street in the back of a truck. 
There were about 7 other machines up and down the streets.

 
This is the main reason I wanted to stop at Sutter Creek.
There is a really cool antique/furniture shop.
I didn't take pictures of the store,
 but I did manage to take pictures of their warehouse.

This is one of two warehouses.
This warehouse had antiques, the other warehouse had new furniture.

This is just a front shot, I couldn't take pictures
 of the building because it was just too massive inside.


While Todd was looking around, I went outside and found this.
What it says is that this company was involved in buying antique furniture
from East Berlin before the wall fell. 
Because of they had business dealings, they made friends with German's.
I don't know that they were actually there when the Berlin Wall fell,
but they have a chunk of it (actually three chunks) at their warehouse.
Who would have thought that a little town in California
would have something of historical significance
 like pieces of the Berlin Wall.

Chunk of the Berlin Wall.

We didn't purchase anything at the antique warehouse,
and we decided to get the show on the road and start
driving because we knew it was going to take
about 4 hours to get to Mammoth.

We saw some beautiful scenery on Hwy 89.
It is beautiful...but curvy...
and pretty high altitude.
We reached 9,000 elevation at one point.

Another scenic picture.
I like to call these pics "California going 70 (mph)".
Get it...because Todd is driving 70 and I'm trying to take pictures.

This was outside of Bridgeport.
There were a bunch of beautiful yellow trees.
This picture doesn't do it justice.

Coming up over the mountain just outside of Bridgeport,
and before Lee Vining, you get a great view of Mono Lake.

By the time we made it to Mammoth, it was 6:30 PM.
I didn't get any great pictures because it was getting dark.
 
 
I did manage to get some decent pictures the following day...
so I guess you'll have to say tuned
AGAIN.
 
Did you do anything fun this weekend?
OR
Did you just relax and enjoy the beautiful weather? 

No comments: