Monday, July 11, 2016

DIY - Pallet Frame

Todd and I finally put our pallets that we had
been saving to good use.
My dad's birthday was nearing,
and I really wanted to make something for him.

I found a local photographer who had taken
a picture of the town that I was raised in.
The picture just so happens to show the building
that my dad owned and operated his business
out of for over 30 years, so I couldn't resist.

When I told Todd what I had in mind for
the photo, he was totally on board and
volunteered to help me make a homemade frame.
First thing was to drag out the old dirty pallet.
Next, Todd pried the nasty old board off the top,
which then exposed the boards that we would
need to make our frame.
It was pretty nasty...it had spider webs and dirt
and just gross stuff all over it.
My job was to clean the boards after Todd
pried them off the pallet.
We were able to salvage about 5 good boards
that we could use for the frame.
The other boards split apart and were unusable.
Todd measured and I cut the boards,
then he had to set up the Kreg Jig.
It was way too complicated for me to figure out,
so Mister Smartypants came to the rescue.
The Kreg jig allows you to drill holes
at an angle so that you can connect the frame
without any screws showing.
Next, I had to salvage a piece of glass from a frame
that we were going to throw away.
The old frame fell and broke to pieces,
but the glass was perfect...win!
It took a few attempts to get the photo in the frame,
but we managed to maneuver it in and then
Todd just screwed the bottom board to the frame...done!
From start to finish, it took us about an hour to assemble.
I love the way it turned out,
and really enjoy how it enhances the picture.

We gave the picture to my dad this last
weekend, and he loved it, just like I hoped he would.
It just makes it that much more special
because we made it especially for him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a super picture. Who took it? It looked so perfect in the homemade frame. You two make quite a team!! AA

Brenda said...

Stacy Pedri took the picture, and we bought it at The Gallery. It was fun making the frame with Todd, mostly because he knows what he's doing, but I have tons of ideas...so between the two of us we can usually make them happen.