Friday, September 26, 2014

Up In Smoke

I don't know if everyone who reads my blog is aware,
but my county is up in flames.
I live where the King Fire is raging.
Current stats on the fire say that it has burned 97,099 acres,
 150 square acres, is 74% contained, and has
7,214 fire personnel assigned to it.
The fire has been burning since September 13th,
that means that tomorrow it will have been an
entire two weeks since it started.

 
I found this size comparison chart floating
around Facebook last week, so it's King Fire
information is outdated, but you can figure out the
size by inserting the current stats
from above into the chart.
 
 
It has destroyed 12 residences and 68 structures to date.
Also, the air quality has been horrific.
I personally know two people who are getting
married this weekend, and I'm crossing my fingers
that they don't have to change their wedding plans
because the smoke is too thick.
 
Here are some pictures of just a small portion of
some of the devastation it has caused.
 
 
All of the following pictures are from Facebook
and don't have names of the photographer attached
(cause I couldn't find them).
 
 
Beautiful and sad at the same time.

 
Stumpy Meadows burning.
This is where Todd and I often go to kayak.


 
I am hopeful that they can get this monster under
control this week.  The firefighters need to get
home to their families, the people who have been
evacuated need to get back to their homes,
and the rest of us would like to get back
to breathing the beautiful fresh mountain air.

No comments: