Saturday, February 20, 2010

Austin's Birthday...to be continued

My first born, Austin, turned 20 on Wednesday. We could not have much of a celebration because he was taking his college classes and didn't return home until 10 PM. Todd, Alexxa and I did manage to make him some brownies and surprise him with those as he walked through the door. We sang Happy Birthday, very off key as usual, and visited for a few minutes before everyone headed off to bed.

It sure makes me melancholy to think that not so long ago I was planning birthday parties with teddy bears, locomotive and Star Wars themes. Todd and I would go shopping at Toys R Us for hours trying to choose the perfect gift. A gift that when Austin would open it, he would scream with excitement.

It wasn't so long ago that Austin thought he needed to hold a garden hose to walk, or that he would point at Todd's fish tank and say "fibby!" (fishy). He would point to a train going bye and say "Chooch, Dada, Chooch!" Austin would fly by on his bike, his training wheels spinning just as fast as they would go.

Those days are long gone, and while it makes me a little sad, I know that Austin will have plenty more birthday celebrations and many more memories to make.

Happy Birthday Pumpkin A.

What I'm thankful for today:
20 years of watching my son grow up and become a wonderful young man.

No comments: